I managed at the weekend to do some cooking. I always try to do something so I’ve got something good for Sidekick in the freezer.
Hubby and I may be living on toast but Sidekick gets a good choice.
Over time I’d like to post some of the things I’ve been cooking as part of the baby led weaning but I’ve been put off because of the need to have decent, artistic photographs. That just ain’t going to happen. My priority is feeding Sidekick not ensuring the lighting is right.
This is probably going to shoot me in the foot as I know people eat with their eyes but lets give it a go.
Gnocchi is expensive to buy especially gluten free versions (I ‘m intolerant not a faddy diet) but its really simple to make and is brilliant for BLW.
If you give this a go I doubt you’ll ever want to buy ready made stuff again.
All you need is:
- Potatoes (fluffy ones like Maris Piper although I used Wilja), about 500g did us
- 1 egg, beaten
- 125g flour, plus extra for dusting
The method is really is:
- Cook the potatoes until soft. If you have left over potatoes from another night just warm them up.
- When cooked put them in a bowl and really mash them.
- Put a bit of pepper in.
- Allow to cool so you can handle it then add in the egg. Mix it up briefly with a fork. Don’t worry about beating it in.
- Sift over the flour and bring it together to make a dough.
- Tip onto a floured surface and need. Your looking for a consistency that holds together and isn’t crumbly.
- Now break off a potion, about tennis ball size and roll into a sausage . I did mine about two finger widths
- Now cut into bite sized pieces
- Cook in batches (they need room to wiggle) in boiling water (you can use the same water) for about 2 minutes or until they bob on the surface
- Serve with whatever sauce you want or as a different type of potato dish.
So there you go, pretty straight forward and yummy.
Please comment if you give the recipe a go, let me know how you got on.