I think it sounds better than broccoli muffins!
Another weekend gone. I’m sure they never passed this quickly before Sidekick arrived. I can’t believe that in a matter of days she will be 9 months. We are in the last quarter of her first year. I’m not sure how I feel about that!
As any parent knows time is a precious thing so I spend a good chunk of the weekend cooking ready for the week ahead when I’m flying solo.
This weekend was a bit of a challenge in the cooking department as I had new things to consider.
It appears that Sidekick could be allergic to dairy. We’ve been monitoring it for a while but it kept happening so we’re booked in to see a paediatrician. However she then randomly seemed to react to eggs even though she’s had them before. So this weekends cooking was dairy free, not a problem, and egg free…interesting.
The muffins turned out better than I hoped, the cauliflower fritters need work.
Now I’m not going to lie these muffins taste of broccoli, if we weren’t doing dairy free I would have mixed in some cheese to add another layer of flavour. I think they taste nice, but I like broccoli, they aren’t however one of those snacks where it’s hidden vegetables, you know you’re eating broccoli.
The recipe also makes a lot. The reason was we had a large head of broccoli and I knew I’d be freezing them.
So here’s what you need:
- 1 broccoli
- 2 cups of flour (I ended up with 1 plain and 1 self raising because I ran out of self raising)
- 12 floz milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 2 tsps. xantahm gum (because I use gluten free flour)
- 3 tsps. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped chives
Here’s how to make the green munchables:
- Pre heat oven to 180c and prepare muffin tray (my mixture made 13 muffins)
- In a food processor blitz the broccoli until it’s a fine crumb and once done place in a bowl
- Next add the flour and xantham gum and give it a stir
- In goes the chives and a stir
- Next goes in the milk, put a bit of elbow behind it and stir
- Lastly add the olive oil and stir
- Spoon into muffin cases. You will see that this is quite a dense mixture, not sure if that’s because there is no egg or because it doesn’t have a lot of liquid. Maybe something I will mess around with.
- Cook for 30 mins until a golden brown and a skewer comes out clean
There we go hulk muffins. I’m not sure if they will make you go green, maybe you’ll get angry if someone steals them? Maybe you’ll get angry if someone doesn’t!
Let me know if you have a go at this recipe, I do like hearing off people!